Ask us

You are here

5 months ago I broke out in a rash on the head of my penis and my testicles became red and burned. For a short period of time it burned to urinate. I went and got tested for the standard std's at the 1 and 3 months mark and all clear. I am wondering if there are any std's that are not included in the standard tests that this could have been? I believe I was tested for chlamydia, ghonorea, syphilis, Hep abc, HIV, and Herpes. So, it can't have been any of these as the tests were negative. I googled and found one called this normally tested? For the most part the rash has disappeared but I am left with a little redness in my testicles and some inflamation in the head of my penis. It doesn't seem to have every really gone back to normal. Any help or advise you can provide would be appreciated. If there are any doctor's you can refer me to see for an exam I would attend. Thank you so much and keep up the good work :)

Hi, and thanks for your question

It sounds like you got a very thorough set of testing done. With negative results at 1 and 3 months, you can be reassured that the tests are accurate as the window periods for any infection have passed. The window period is the time between when a person comes in contact with a sexually transmitted infection (STI) and when the STI will show up on a test.

We often forget that the skin on our genitals is just like the skin on the rest of our bodies and there are any number of things besides STI’s that can cause irritation and rashes. Just because it’s on the genitals doesn’t mean it’s automatically an STI!

Things like dehydration, alcohol, nicotine and soaps/detergents can causes irritation to the urethra which can result in a discomfort when urinating. Soaps and detergents can also cause irritation or rash on the skin of the scrotum.

That being said, if these symptoms have been there for a couple of months and are not resolving, then I would recommend visiting a walk-in clinic or family doctor for a full assessment. You really don’t need to go to a sexual health clinic, as they will likely repeat the tests which you’ve already had. It would be worth having a physician assess. Without knowing which area you’re in I can’t really recommend a specific clinic. However, you should be able to find a walk-in clinic near you with a quick internet search.

Let us know if this does not answer your question or if you have any more questions or concerns.
Health Nurse

This answer was posted on October 7, 2019

Community comments

No comments yet.

Add a comment

Log in or register to post comments