Ask us

You are here

I have been tested for stds and they came back negative. I noticed from googling that there is a bacteria called mycoplasma genitalium. I had some symptoms and am wondering if this might be the cause. How do i get tested for mycoplasma genetalium? Do i have to ask the physician?

Hi, and thank you for your question

Mycoplasma genitalium is a bacterium that can be sexually transmitted and in some instances can cause urethral symptoms in men, but often is asymptomatic. Many individuals carry this bacteria around normally and suffer no symptoms or harm from it, so we typically don’t test for it routinely.

There are many things that can cause urethral symptoms in men, or individuals with a penis. Those things can include sexually transmitted bacteria including chlamyida, gonorrhea and herpes. Non-sti microbes, such as the virus that causes the common cold passed through oral sex, can also cause these symptoms and are also harmless. Other irritants can include soaps, detergents, dehydration, yeast and fungal infections, and increased alcohol intake or nicotine use.

If all things are ruled out and urethral symptoms are persistent and bothersome, then certainly you could ask your family doctor for testing for mycoplasma.

Let us know if this does not answer your question or if you have any more questions or concerns.
Health Nurse

This answer was posted on February 4, 2020

Community comments

No comments yet.

Add a comment

Log in or register to post comments