The College of Registered Nurses of BC (CRNBC) STI DST review process was initiated by the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) in February 2013. A provincial working group (PWG) was established to form a collaborative STI DST revision process. Working group membership included practicing RN(C) and Nurse Leaders from each health authority and Options for Sexual Health.
The revised DSTs were reviewed by BCCDC Clinical Leadership and submitted to CRNBC on January 8, 2014. The revised DSTs have been now published on the CRNBC Certified Practice STI Management webpage.
Summary of revisions
General revisions across all DSTs include:
- Updated literature review and reference list for each DST
- Treatment tables in DSTs where there are numerous treatment options
- Alternate treatments are also listed in treatment tables
- Consistency with language: re management of client/contact follow up for STI
A slide presentation has been developed to provide a high-level overview of the main 2013 revisions within each CRNBC STI Certified Practice DST. This presentation can be downloaded below, under Related Resources.
The revised DSTs included in the presentation are:
- STI Assessment DST
- Treatment of STI Contacts DST
- Bacterial Vaginosis DST
- Chlamydia Trachomatis DST
- Genital Warts DST
- Gonorrhea DST
- Lower Urinary Tract Infection (female) DST
- Mucopurulent Cervicitis DST
- Recurrent Urethritis DST
- Trichomoniasis DST
- Urethritis DST