FOR HEALTH PROVIDERS
You are here
HIV PrEP Resources for Clinicians
The following are some key resources for prescribing PrEP and supporting clients in accessing and continuing on PrEP.
These resources have been developed specifically for the British Columbia PrEP program, but may be adapted for a different province with permission. Please email SmartSexResource@bccdc.ca to inquire further.
- The Canadian Guideline on HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis and Non-occupational exposure Prophylaxis (November 2017) is the leading comprehensive review for guidelines on HIV exposure prophylaxis in Canada.
- The Guidance for the use of Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for the Prevention of HIV Acquisition in British Columbia is the guiding document for the background, recommendations, assessment, prescribing and follow-up of PrEP in BC.
- The HIV PrEP Decision Support Tool can be used to guide registered nursing practice in British Columbia specific to HIV PrEP assessment, testing, monitoring, management and follow-up.
- The HIV Incidence Risk Index (HIRI-MSM) calculator is an interactive assessment tool of a clinical scoring system that can help identify men who have sex with men who may be at a higher risk of potentially getting HIV. The specific risk factors in the HIRI calculator have been associated with a higher likelihood of HIV infection.
- The Prescriber Notification Letter can be provided to clients identified as being at high risk for HIV infection and who are eligible for provincially-funded PrEP. This letter is given to clients to present to a physician or nurse practitioner in circumstances where there may not be a prescriber directly on site during an initial sexual health history and assessment.
- The PrEP Program Enrolment and Prescription Request Form is to be completed by a licensed BC physician or nurse practitioner for new PrEP clients OR for clients who have previously received PrEP through the BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS but who have been off therapy or living outside of BC more than 6 months.
- The PrEP Lab Requisition Forms include the necessary tests for the initial assessment of PrEP eligibility, one month follow-up, and ongoing follow-up for all clients on PrEP. Table 3 in the BC PrEP Guidance document summarizes all testing recommendations when a client is on PrEP. Please note that other tests may be added as per prescriber suggestion. These forms are meant to be a guide; you can choose to use whatever Laboratory Requisition Forms are commonly used in your organization or clinic.
- The PrEP Prescription Refill Form is a printed form mailed by the BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDs to the follow-up provider specified on the original prescription. This form is pre-populated with the client's enrollment information as well as the due date of the next prescription refill. Providers can choose to use this form, or any legal prescription format to refill the PrEP prescription. A new signed and dated refill prescription is required each time that PrEP medication is dispensed.
- The What you need to know about HIV PrEP information sheet has been developed to answer frequently asked questions that clinicians may have about PrEP.
- The FAQs about PrEP information sheet has been developed to answer frequently asked questions that clients often have about PrEP. The brochure is also available in Spanish, Simplified Chinese and Punjabi.
- Your clients can sign up to receive PrEP testing reminders by email or text to help them remember the approximate time they need to have their follow-up testing completed before their next 90 day PrEP prescription cycle is complete.