You are here
Sex Toys and Condoms
STIs can pass from one person to another from sharing sex toys. When using sex toys, it’s important to understand how to keep them clean and how to prevent STIs from passing between partners.
If sex toys are shared, it is important to always use a new condom on your toys. Also, use a new condom on a sex toy if you are switching from anal to oral or vaginal/internal genital sex.
Some types of sex toys are hard to clean and it may not be possible to remove STIs from them, increasing the chance of passing an STI from one person to another.
- Water based lube can be used on all toys.
- Silicone lube will break down silicone toys, but it is OK for use on some toys.
- Avoid oils or petroleum-based jellies because they will cause condoms to break and toys to break down.
Caring for Sex Toys
Cleaning methods for sex toys will depend on the toy and what it is made of:
- Use a mild unscented soap for cleaning sex toys.
- Don't immerse toys that are electric or battery operated in water.
- Store toys in individual ziplock bags.